THE #1 SOURCE FOR #BLACKBUSINESS OWNERS AND URBAN EVENTS. Create YOUR FREE Profile at WWW.BLACKFOLKHOTSPOTS.COM SO WE CAN GET YOUR BUSINESS AND EVENTS IN OUR DAILY ROTATION.
You want press for your product, right? It makes you feel good. It can bring customers and drive investment. But you must navigate these waters carefully, fo...
Notes by Ian
JCal- No one had taken notes so here is the synopsis here, thanks for this video:)
How To Get Press by Jason Calacanis
• first define what the goal is
• you maybe trying to raise money
• you have to focus on what they read or the publication
• curate a relationship with the writers first
• read their last 10 articles they have written, 2 weeks worth of tweets, Instagram, & facebook post. You want to know as much as you can about them in the same fashion you would know about your favorite athlete
• post a reply on a blog then contact them later about your press release [2 months or so] after you have deepened the relationship with them.
• Favorite something on twitter, rt, like on facebook, write a blog post that mentions them by name. Video would work well as well
• It has to be authentic and based on your knowledge & shared passion for a vertical.
• You have to have someone cover who covers the area you like
• Be involved in a constant dialogue about your passion area or vertical
• Have a logo
• Have a true presence in the space you want to be covered in
• Do a press tour-
• Do you have 15 minutes to spare so I can show you what we are building and why?
• If they accept, just let it be the journalist and you.
• Ask them about their feedback and what they think.
• The longer they talk with you the better chance they will see you as a thought leader but your product has to be GREAT. Don’t bring a mediocre product to the table.
• Do not send a generic pitch or send to people who don’t care about what you are offering.
• Make your press pitch custom to whom you are sending it to.
“Kara, I really enjoyed your story on x and I thought your point on y was great and you may have seen I wrote this blog post in response to what you were doing. Anyway I am making a new product,I attached a screenshot, I was wondering if you or another member of the recode team would give me 15 minutes of your time, anywhere any place to just show you what I’m building. I think it’s kind of important and I think it’s kind of note-worthy”
-Don’t ask for a meeting if you haven’t read 10 of their stories or podcasts
-Video demo or animated gifs of the product
-You need a great social media presence
.Do a different pr push each month for each goal you want to achieve
Thanks again Jason,